I am thinking about becoming a Buddhist, particularly a Theravada Buddhist but I must know about the lifestyle so I can change my lifestyle a bit. There is no Buddhist temple around where I am so I have nobody to ask. I do not wish to become a nun so the question are for more non-ordained Buddhist. So here are my questions.
- What exactly is a lay Buddhist and what rules do they follow?
- Are all non-ordained Buddhist considered a lay person?
- Do certain things apply in Buddhism since I am female?
- Can I handle money? (cash, coins, cards, etc.)
- What time of day are considered inappropriate to eat? How many meals can I have a day? Can I drink liquid any time? (Milk, Water, Juice, etc.) No alcohol.
- Do I need a shrine? What are considered luxury items? Should I not have luxury items?
- Can I have entertainment? (TV, Computer, Phone, Music, etc.)
- Do I fast? If so, when do I fast?
- Do I need to wear certain clothing if I become a Buddhist? Do I need to shave my head?
- Do I chant and meditate daily?
- Can I meditate without a monk/nun and without a temple?
That is all I want to know. I hope all my questions can be answered. Thanks you and all may be happy.