Other Help topics applicable to all Stack Exchange sites (including this one) are listed below the "Useful resources" section on this page.
Here are a few web resources that you may find useful when asking and answering questions on Buddhism Stack Exchange
How to take the triple refuge - useful for new comers who wants to learn how to take refuge in the triple gem.
Schools of Buddhism - a wikipedia-overview of the different schools in Buddhism.
How to take the 5 precepts - also aimed at new comers who wants to learn how to take the five precepts.
Fundamentals in Buddhism - for the new comer who wants to learn about Buddhism. In here is the basic doctrines covered, such as The Buddha, The Four Noble Truths, The Noble Eightfold Path, Kamma, 3 Characteristics etc.
Dhamma Lists - An excellent summary of Buddhist lists such as the 4 noble truths and others.
SuttaCentral includes detailed references, shows relationships between texts in diverse collections, and, where possible, provides original text and translations.
Access to Insight - The Pali Canon online and more besides.
The Buddhist Publication Society - for authentic literature on Buddhism. The Buddhist Publication Society (BPS), founded in Sri Lanka in 1958, is an approved charity dedicated to making known the teaching of the Buddha.
Sets of the Pāli Canon in English Translation and in Pāli (Tipiṭaka) - here one can get a set of the tipitaka in english or pali.
Online Pail Dictionary from the Pali Text Society
Buddha Vacana has Pali next to English for several suttas
The Dhammapada: Verses and Stories has the story as well as each verse.
Jataka Tales Stories from the previous lives of the Buddha
Real Buddha Quotes Verified Quotes from the Buddhist Scriptures
Fake Buddha Quotes - Companion site to the above. Dedicated to pinpointing fake buddha quotes.
Meditation and Retreats
Vipassana 10-day Goenka Retreat Locations - For practitioners that would like to go on retreat. This is the 10-day Goenka retreat and the different locations where its being held.
Benefits of Walking Meditation - for meditators who are practicing walking meditation or wants to learn it. Here is a great article on it by Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda.
Guide to the Anapanasati Sutta - excellent lecture series on the mindfulness of breathing and the anapanasati sutta
Free Books by Mahasi Sayadaw - for practitioners following the Mahasi Sayadaw Tradition. In here you can find books by Mahasi Sayadaw on topics such as Vipassana techniques, different suttas, progress of insight, dependent origination and more.
Video Abhidhamma Retreat with Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi - here one can follow Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi's Abhidhamma Retreat. The whole retreat is divided into 15 videos with a length of approx 1 hour.
Venerable Yuttadhammo's videos on a range of subjects and handily categorised
Free Buddhist Audio free audio talks from the Triratna Buddhist community
www.dhammawheel.com A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada
www.dharmawheel.net Companion site to the above. A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Mahayana.
www.buddhanet.net BuddhaNet is a not-for-profit organisation affiliated with the Buddha Dharma Education Association Inc has since evolved as a Buddhist Information and Education Service.
The Thirty-one Planes of Existence - a quick overview of the different planes of existence. Comes in handy when studying the texts and there is a reference to a realm.
Find out more about…
- What types of questions should I avoid asking?
- What does it mean if a question is "closed"?
- What topics can I ask about here?
- Why do I see a message that my question does not meet quality standards?
- Why and how are some questions deleted?
- Code of Conduct
- Expected Behavior
- How do I use tags to find topics I'm interested in?
- Why can people edit my posts? How does editing work?
- How does the User Card popup work?
Reputation & Moderation
- Who are the site moderators, and what is their role here?
- Why is voting important?
- What is reputation? How do I earn (and lose) it?
- Moderator Agreement policies
- Who are the staff, and what is their role here?
- How do I write a good answer?
- What does it mean when an answer is "accepted"?
- Why are answers no longer being accepted from my account?
- How to reference material written by others
- Can I answer my own question?
- I accidentally created two accounts; how do I merge them?
- How do I add or remove login credentials from my account?
- I lost my password; how do I reset it?
- How do I delete my account?
- When does Stack Exchange ask for my cookie consent?