I have heard that there are 8 attainments or stages of insight in the progression of Vipassana, can anyone explain? I'm familiar with the 8 stages of jhana but I believe this is in reference to vipassana specifically.
This is 7 purification and 16 stages of insight. See:
- The Progress of Insight
- Transcendental Dependent Arising
- Relay Chariots
- 7 Stages of Purification & The Insight Knowledges
- A Map of the Journey (Very readable book)
- The Development of Insight
- The Sixteen Stages of Insight
NB: Don't get too engrossed in the stages. Many of the naturally manifest them self. You cannot force the development or crave for it to come. Either way you are regressing.