Recently I'm discussing five elements of nature with an atheist he cleared our body is composition of 11 elements Composition of the human body.
These elements are enough different from those 5 elements.
My reply to him :
"How we can say different, when those 11 elements are form of 5 elements and vice versa."
His clarification is as follows:
Form ? These are 5 elements in which Buddha believed -
- Earth- Earth is just a planet that’s diameter is 8000 miles while our body’s diameter is barely 600 mm. We live on earth. How our body could be composed of a whole planet ?
- Air- Air is a mixture of dust particles and gases such as- nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is dangerous to humans. Argon is also dangerous in close areas. The only real elements are nitrogen and oxygen. If we breathe dust particles, they will make negative impact on our cardiovascular health.
- Aether- Aehter is what you look up AKA space. How our body could be composed of sky ? Our body has opposite energy of sky.
- Fire- fire is just a result of atomic transitions of elements rather than an element itself.
- Water- Water is constituted from Hydrogen and Oxygen so it is not an element either.
For qualifying the definition of an element, it must be the smallest substance which cannot be broken into more forms. The Buddha was contemporary of Aristotle so this speculation was very famous at that time. Both philosophers believed in same speculation. I am quoting the critics of Aristotelian physics- Modern scholars differ in their opinions of whether Aristotle's physics were sufficiently based on empirical observations to qualify as science, or else whether they were derived primarily from philosophical speculation and thus fail to satisfy the scientific method-Aristotelian physics
So how our body/soul is composition of five elements of nature?
Is there have any sutta that explained? I'm assuming may there would have philosophical explanation.