I have heard of five tricks/methods which could be used to avoid performing unwholesome kamma. I can remember three of them precisely. Would like to know all 5 listed in order. One is shifting the mind away from the unwholesome thought, another is finding the root cause, another is thinking of consequences.
Vitakka Saṇṭhāna Sutta gives the following 5:
- Replace the unwholesome thoughts with wholesome thoughts
- Examine the drawback of unwholesome thoughts
- One sould forget unwholesome thoughts
- One should try to still the source of unwholesome thoughts
- Subdue the unwholesome thoughts