- How much time it takes to experience 4th jhana?v
- Right now sometime if i try to concentrate i can feel the calmness in mind. Before 2 years i used to feel inner joy after doing meditation. If i do meditation everyday for 2 -3 hours, how much time will it take for me to leave the rupa jhana?
One cannot put a time perspective on such practices.
Just practice diligently, systematically and with great effort.
Undertake the (samatha) meditation practice for the sake of the practice itself - not for gaining anything. The minute one is thinking about achieving and gaining something, one has fallen into the hindrances.. As a result of that, one has moved away from the primary object of meditation and thus are not cultivating concentration.
Its a good idea to regularly clarify and affirm ones intentions for practicing - especially with Jhana meditation, that is very important. Its easy to become attached to the pleasant sensations this type of meditation practice can result in.
One should ask oneself why one takes on this practice. A wholesome intention is essential. Wholesome intentions for engaging in Samatha meditation could be:
- Collecting the scattered mind (e.g. to be used later for Vipassana meditation)
- Deepening serenity
- Purification of the mind stream
- Cultivating a high level of concentration (e.g. to be used later for Vipassana meditation)