What if one of the parents refuses contact? Should you strive for it?

  • 1
    You'll have to ask the monastery you wish to ordain at. Some will even ignore a parent's opinion if it's clear that the parent doesn't have the child's best interests at heart. – Hugh Nov 24 '16 at 9:37
  • 1
    Would you post that as an answer, please, Hugh, instead of as a comment? – ChrisW Nov 24 '16 at 10:10

This is a question of law. In some places, the laws will allow one parent, or even no parents, since it's a matter of religious preference. In other places, the laws are strict, and require both parents' permission.

This is also a question of the sangha's policies. Most will have an age limit because they observe a need to gain life experience. Some will permit children, and others will even seek after them, so that children will not be unduly influenced by outside ideas. So it depends a lot on who is asking, and who is doing the ordaining.

Ordination can be a big deal. Mostly, though, it's merely feeling a call to serve others, seek the best interests of the world and promote its well-being. Nobody needs an ordination for that, but it helps to have a legal piece of paper to avoid certain troubles.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.